The book is designed to make you fit for the management of critically ill patients (especially of COVID-19 patients) in the intensive care unit. It contains all the basics of critical care medicine (airway management, ventilation principles and ventilation techniques, weaning, tracheotomy, chest tube [thoracic drainage], analgosedation, catecholamine therapy, hemodynamic monitoring, shock, nutrition, resuscitation, sepsis, ECMO, acute kidney injury, renal replacement therapy, acute coronary syndrome, cardiogenic shock, extracorporeal circulatory support, cardiac arrhythmias, inflammatory heart diseases [endocarditis, myocarditis, pericarditis], hypertensive crisis, pulmonary embolism, acute aortic syndrom, ARDS, pulmonary hypertension, acute right heart failure, obstructive lung diseases [status asthmaticus, exacerbated COPD], interstitial lung diseases, bronchial hemorrhage), gastrointestinal bleeding, acute pancreatitis, gastrointestinal atony, complications of liver cirrhosis, acute liver failure, acute mesenteric ischemia, pneumonia, multi-drug-resistant organisms, skin and soft tissue infections, fungal infections (mycoses), malaria, endocrinological emergencies, disorders of the electrolytes, disorders of the acid-base balance, blood products, DIC, hyerfibrinolysis, HIT, ITP, thrombotic microangiopathies, oncological emergencies and also a separate detailed chapter on COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2).
Available as e-book. The picture shows a conceptual visualization of the digital product.
10th edition (3rdEnglish edition)
1295 pages, 1542 figures, 120 tables
Author: Dr. med. Volker Herold
- training as an internist and cardiologist
- additional designation emergency medicine
- senior emergency physician in the emergency medical service (specialist certificate)
- senior physician of Clinic for Internal Medicine, St. Joseph Hospital Regensburg / Germany
- head of the compact course in intensive care medicine
Basics of Intensive Care Medicine
- practical presentation for the clinician (“from practitioner for practitioner”)
- textbook and reference book
- no multi-author book (“made from one piece”)
- ideal for the preparation for the exam
- everything compact and clear for daily work in the intensive care unit
- didactically clearly structured
- The book conveys the latest and current status in Internal Intensive Care Medicine.
- Numerous illustrations, schemes and memos are intended to make reading and learning easier.
- Among all ICU books bestseller Lehmanns Media in Germany since 2017